(Washing dishes…)
This summer will be.
I feel a little piece of my soul perking up. It’s been dormant for a little while---not dead. Dormant.
Dor . mant [dawr-muhnt]
4. inactive but capable of becoming active;
5. Being in an inactive state during which growth and development cease and metabolism is slowed, usually in response to an adverse environment. In winter, some plants survive as dormant seeds or bulbs, and some animals enter the dormant state of hibernation.
6. Not active but capable of renewed activity. Volcanoes that have erupted within historical times and are expected to erupt again are dormant.
(On the trail…)
Pete made this trail. (“Well, I helped” he would say).
The evening found us in our hoodies, clinging to each other as we stood on the beach, the tide lapping a little below our feet.
We sat not touching on a heap of dry but wave-softened logs, watching the blazing streak of orange across the ocean disappear as the sun set.
Then the orange made its way into the sky.
The solitary tree on that outcropping of rock looks good. Like it once quivered being all alone out there but now it’s becoming okay with its place. Like soon it might even bask in the sunlight that illuminates it. The sunlight was always there…I guess the tree didn’t notice.
What if I was in an Arizona desert (where I’ve never actually been in real life) instead of this rich, green, lilies-of-the valley-and-bleeding-heart lushness?
No comments:
Post a Comment