Sunday, September 5, 2010

This week...

A glorious bout of allergies decided to grace my life, just in time for classes to start. After a night filled with sneezing and nose blowing, I was prepared to give my new teachers a wonderful first impression of me…sitting in the back row, roll of toilet paper on my desk, blowing my nose every 10 minutes. Let me tell you, it was great. I loved explaining to all my classmates “No, I’m not crying, I have allergies."

This is pretty much what I looked like all day long:

All sarcasm and joking aside, it really wasn’t that bad—and after class one of my teachers told me “I figured either you had allergies or you were just showing emotion about how happy you are to be in this class.”

Since that lovely Wednesday, I’ve improved immensely (although I’ll admit I’m on my second roll of TP now) and only blow my nose a few times a day. It’s probably a good thing I went through my first day of classes in a sleep-deprived haze of snot and watery eyes. I was not even capable of becoming stressed out and overwhelmed as I learned about the workload of the semester. It will be a lot of work, but I definitely feel like it’s do-able. I came to class having read my syllabi and already had a good idea of what was expected of me this semester. There weren’t too many surprises and I’m feeling all ready to get through this last semester!

Yesterday, feeling as though the allergy meds were finally kicking in, I decided to go to the BYU vs. University of Washington football game with Pete, Eric Hoyt, his girlfriend Lauren, and Nichole Jensen—a friend from Washington.

I must pause in the story to interject something.
And this is kind of embarrassing.
I hadn’t been to a BYU football game since my freshman year of college 4 years ago!
Even more embarrassing, at that game 4 years ago, I left the stadium early on in the game because amidst the screaming fans, canons blasting, and obnoxious music, my roommate and I were falling asleep on our hard bleacher seats. Yep.
(In our defense, we had just worked the night shift--frosting donuts for BYU Dining Services).

Anyway, there’s a glimpse into how I’ve been neglecting some essential BYU experiences over the years. So, keeping in line with my “finding joy in the journey” theme, I went to the game on Saturday.

Now, for Pete and his brother Eric, this was not just any old BYU game. They grew up in Washington, in the same small town as Jake Locker, U of W’s quarterback. Eric went to school with Jake, and while the Hoyts would cheer for BYU any other day, U of W is just a bit dearer to their hearts. I thought long and hard about which team I was going to support (okay, not really that long or that hard) and cautiously broke the news to Pete that I would be wearing a BYU shirt to the game. I couldn’t root for U of W simply because they happen to be Pete’s favorite. Luckily, Pete took it pretty well and we're still friends :)




Pete and I ended up getting some odd looks and even the comment “interesting combination,” as we walked hand in hand to the football game.

Then before I knew it, I was a lonely blue sitting in the midst of a sea of purple in the visitors section of the BYU stadium. Luckily, I had made sure that Lauren was wearing a BYU shirt to the game and we made sure to sit by each other. Whew. The fans were pretty nice, and the old guy sitting in front of me wasn’t too bad. After U of W scored their first touchdown he stood up and turned to give me a high five, then disgustedly noticed my BYU shirt. Pete gracefully intercepted the high five and smoothed things over by telling him something about the seats being cheaper (which was definitely NOT true). The older guys sitting behind us were nice and jokey. When the fans stood up to cheer for Washington, the guy sitting behind me and Lauren gently nudged us up to our feet and said “C’mon girls! You didn’t think this would be easy, didya?!” All in all, it turned out fine. Me and Lauren stayed true to the blue and got to our feet to cheer when BYU scored. It just so happens that BYU won!



Also, to completely change the subject, here’s some ooey gooey cinnamon rolls Pete and I made recently! They were very tasty and it was so fun making them together. I think we did alright for our first time.


Normally I don’t have enough butter on hand to make Pete’s mom's legendary recipe, but surprisingly we did today. Although reading the nutrition facts might cause a heart attack quicker than eating them will, they are seriously the best cinnamon rolls ever! Melt in your mouth. And they remind me of Christmas, because that’s the last time I had them, at Pete’s house. Thanks Golda for giving us the yummy recipe!




To change the subject again...I just went to my 12-week appointment at the Midwife clinic this past week. It was so fun to hear the baby's heartbeat! I took Pete with me so that he could hear it too. I was hoping it would kick this new phase he's in of trying to hear the baby's heartbeat.
Like every night.
With my stethoscope.
Even though I tell him that will not work.
Not for quite a while.

Until then, Pete has resorted to tapping out morse code on my stomach.


Life is good :)

6 comments:

Clancy and Katie Black said...

I'm so glad you commented on our blog so now I can see your blog too! Congratulations on the baby and on your last semester of school! Hearing the heartbeat finally really is the best feeling. Hope you've been feeling okay and I am sure Whit is so happy that she'll be home in time to see you with a cute belly.

Joel and Claire said...

Good to find your blog! I'm so proud of you... staying true to your school and all. Good luck with your last semester! I hope you know how lucky you are to have been placed at Primary's!

Cortney Scott said...

Steph, this made me laugh out loud!!! First when your teacher commented on you being so happy to be in class..hahaha and pete trying to listen to the heart beat with your stethoscope. (if we had one, denton would do the same thing!) I am sooo excited for you two, and I can not wait until you find out what you are having!! yay!!

Brad and Jenn said...

Stephanie and Pete!!!! Congratulations!!! We had no idea that you two were extpecting a baby! That is awesome! We hope everything goes perfectly for the two of you and if there is ever anything we can do to help you please let us know! Good luck in your last semester, exciting times!

Jasmine said...

ohhh cute steph I didnt know you are pregnant! Congratulations!Thats so exciting. I remember being baby crazy L&D semester, it was so fun. I love your blog too, and those cinnamon rolls look delish!

Elise said...

We tried to listen with the stethoscope, too. It doesn't work.

about this site