Friday, April 9, 2010

Simply Elegant

Recently, I went to a lovely catered dinner at BYU for a nursing school function. Despite a menu of instant mashed potatoes and chicken cordon bleu (curiously reminiscent of freshman year Sundays at the Morris Center Cafeteria), I loved just sitting as plate after plate of food was set in front of me--I would love something like that, after all.

This experience contrasted greatly to our at-home food experience. For Pete and I, the norm is make-food-quick mode, eat it standing up. We've usually got one eye on the food so as not to miss the mouth and the other eye on the clock so as not to be late for class. I decided that every once in a while, I want to do little fancy dinners in my house (plus it will help me teach my children--and my husband and myself--good manners).

I decided Easter Sunday was the day. I spread the preparation over a few days so I didn't have to do much on Sunday. After much shopping, chopping, boiling, cooling, and many "preheat oven to's...," here's the finished product.

Course 1: Strawberry Spinach salad and rolls.





Course 2: Lasagna, steamed brocoli, garlic bread



Course 3: Creamy Lemon Bars (recipe from: http://www.ourbestbestbites.com)



It was fun to cook, make little name cards, etc. But what really made the meal was having Brian, Ashley, and Eric over to share it with us. Not only is life about people...food is about people too. My mind is already cookin' up a menu for next time...

No comments:

about this site