Sunday, October 23, 2011

Halloween with Uncle Tim

Pete's younger brother, Tim, just got home from serving a mission in the San Fernando, California Mission. We were so happy to have him come visit us for just a few days this past weekend! Our ward Fall Festival fell on the same weekend and included a chili cook-off, games, and trunk-or-treat. I was kind of stressed getting costumes ready, as I've never been a big fan of Halloween in general. I ended up figuring out something for me and Emery, and I gave Tim the assignment of coming up with Halloween costumes for Pete and himself.

I was impressed with how well Tim followed through on his assignment. In fact, this is what happens when you put Tim in charge of Halloween costumes:

1) He'll send you the picture below and say "here's an option." You'll laugh, thinking he's joking, and then forget all about it.

Tweedle-dum and Tweedle-dee
(from Alice in Wonderland...in case there's anyone else out there who, like me, didn't know who these fine characters are)

2) You'll ask him what he decided on and he'll answer your curious inquiries with "it's a surprise."

3) The next thing you know, you'll find yourself looking like this:


(Tim dubbed Pete "dum" and himself "dee")


My favorite reaction to Tim and Pete's costumes was a friend's from church, who asked "So...do these costumes have anything to do with the way you guys are perceived at home?" My laugh was his answer. Pete and Tim have a special bond as brothers and provide lots of laughs together (as well as awkward, questioning looks) in the family setting. Having Tim here has been so fun, as he brings out a unique side of Pete...or maybe I should say he amplifies Pete's natural personality. Either way, that Pete consented to dressing up as Tweedle-dum is concrete evidence of the effect Tim has :)


For Emery's costume, I have to give a big thanks to my mom, who made the hat, picked up the tights, and helped with the onesie that all combined to turn Emery into an adorable little owl. She is very much into flapping her arms around these days, so an owl was a pretty good fit for her. I managed to finish a thrown together, hot glue gun mess of a momma owl costume for myself, so we could match :). I think it turned out pretty good, considering the fact that the main constituents are a pillow case and fleece with absolutely no sewing involved.

 Naturally, I took about a-million-and-one pictures of my first baby on her first Halloween. Here's several:





flapping and flying







Thanks to Tim and our ward party, I enjoyed celebrating Halloween more than ever before. Tim's convinced that Emery isn't his biggest fan, but judging by the picture below, I'd say she's a pretty happy girl to have an uncle like him!


...or maybe she just likes Tweedle-Dee :)

No comments:

about this site