Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Random Birthday Thoughts

(I meant to post this on Emery's bday, but it just didn't work out. Better late than never!)


I feel like the culture here in the South is pretty different than where I grew up. People here speak their mind---simple, blunt, and honest. While I'm used to getting lots of "beautiful baby" type comments when I'm out and about with Emery at the grocery store or running errands (she's been called everything from a simple "cutie" to "sweet potato pie" by those passing by), lately I've been the one getting comments---and not about my beauty (haha), about my age: "Is that baby yours?" "How old are you?" and my favorite today while I was at the store with the baby: "You look just like a baby yourself!"(make sure to read that last one with a heavy southern accent for full effect). I never know quite how to respond to these abrupt comments---do I say thank you? Anyhow, I guess it's nice to hear, because I'm feeling a bit old now that I have a 1 YEAR OLD!


I can't believe how quickly a year has gone by and how quickly my sweet tiny baby has become not so tiny and progressively less a baby (but she's still very sweet) :). She gives me big, wet "kisses," points to her nose, tries to comb her hair, puts the phone to her ear to "talk," plays hide and seek with me around the house, and thinks she's grown up enough to be the sole keeper of my car keys. It's so fun to see each new little step she makes into growing up. She has such a sweet, fun personality and I can just tell she's a thinker---quietly but confidently curious about people and things. She also likes to be silly, and when she notices me quietly laughing at something funny she's doing, she gives me a big grin and keeps right on doing it. She's recently developed a little attachment to her stuffed dog and won't leave her crib without bringing her "gog" along with her.


I love that Emery's birthday is right on the brink of spring. Budding tulips and brilliant daffodils take me right back to those early months of Emery, when I would often take her out for walks. I hope warm weather and the pretty flowers that come in early spring will always remind me of the birth of my little Emery. Today in the grocery store, an older woman stopped me, told me my baby was "just beautiful" and then looked me straight in the eyes and pointedly charged, "you enjoy every day of her." I guess sometimes those grocery store comments do hit the nail right on the spot :)

I sure love my little Emery Jane and hope that I continue to enjoy her more with each passing day.



4 comments:

Brady and Lindsay Wood said...

I cant believe she is a year already. It feels like ya'll just moved in and she is still a little baby. She and Ryker are sure going to have a lot of fun playing and swimming this summer! Oh course you and I will too! Thanks for being such a sweet good friend.

Sab said...

Now do you see where I get my bluntness from? You guys are the cutest!

Shane and Zandy said...

What a beautiful girl! She is growing so fast and I cannot believe she is already a year. I love your stories about the South!

Laura Anderson said...

I get those comments too and I'm not in the south. I've even been called Ava's sister. I'm kind of used to it because I always got comments like that when I worked at M&W. It does get kind of annoying sometimes.

about this site