Tuesday, January 17, 2012

10 months

Dear Emery,

Happy 10 months + 2 days! I often think about all the fun things I should be recording about you and hope to do better at it this year. For the past month of your life, we’ve been traveling and visiting family members. You’ve been a gem through all of it---plane rides, lots of new faces, and even the bumpy, off-roading trip to the desert (in fact, you didn’t complain nearly as much as I did about that one).

Here’s just a few quick things I want to remember about you:

4 teeth at 8 months
Pushing yourself up to sitting position at 9 months
Crawling (finally!) at 9.5 months
Pulling yourself up on furniture and cruising at 9.5 months
Eating solids like cheerios and bread (without choking) at 9.5 months
Drinking water from a bottle at 9.5 months
10 month stats: 17 in head circumference,17.2 lbs, and 27 in. long

You have quite the array of little tricks these days. My favorite is probably waving. You started consciously waving to people around 8 months and have since been perfecting your wave. You used to just wave by folding at the wrist, then you started folding your fingers down with your palm facing you (it was so cute how you waved to yourself!), and now you’ve put it all together to fold your fingers down and face them toward the person you are waving at. Basically, anything moving gets a nice hand wave from you these days (including animals, the flames of a fire, trees, etc.) It’s so cute and fun to watch how social and aware you are of the people and things around you.


At about 9.5 months, you started doing a funny little bear crawl in addition to your normal crawling. While all this moving around makes more work for me, I honestly don’t mind, because it’s so neat to see you gaining more skills and more control over your tiny little body. Another trick is what we call “crazy face,” where you either smile or open your mouth wide and then shake your head all over the place. It evolved while we were on a long car ride. I think you wanted out of your car seat, so you started flopping your head around. Your dad copied you, you thought it was funny, and what could’ve been a meltdown turned into a game. Now you do crazy face just for fun, or to music.


You recently started doing the actions for your favorite “Popcorn Popping” song, and you love to clap your hands together. During our stay at the Hoyts, all the boys were up in the loft watching a football game and even though you couldn’t see them, you heard their occasional bursts of yelling and clapping and would face the direction all the racket was coming from and add your own clapping to it. So funny! You’re also really fascinated by books these days...you love looking at them, playing with them, and turning the pages.

Reading with Aunt Hailey.
She was your best friend while we were at the Hoyt's!

In other news, you’re still not sleeping through the night (vacation didn’t help that), but I’m not too worried about it at the moment. It’ll happen someday. Eating and everything else is going great. You recently decided that sneezing or watching people sneeze is pretty funny and you are constantly “ga-ga”-ing and “ma-ma”-ing and “da-da”-ing. You took a particular liking to the Hoyt’s dog at Chrismas time and I’m pretty sure you try to say the word “dog.” Most times it comes out like “gog,” but pretty exciting nonetheless. Since your dad and I hate dogs, I’m not counting it as your official first word yet. J Everytime you see a dog (they're quite prevalent in our apartment complex) your whole body goes rigid and you flap your arms around excitedly saying "gog, gog."

Just playing :)
You got spoiled with all kinds of attention over the break from family members, it was so neat to watch you get acquainted with all your extended family and so sad to have to leave them all behind. You seem to gather smiles from everyone: great-grandparents, grandparents, aunts, teenage uncles, young cousins, etc. I’m constantly amazed at how many smiles and how much laughter a sweet baby like you can bring to all and especially to me.

With the Hoyt fam
With the Jensen fam
Sometimes your dad and I jokingly debate about who loves you more, me or him. The funny thing is, each of us is pretty sure that we’re winning. Thanks for being such a sweet, happy baby. While I want you to be little forever, I can’t wait to watch you grow up!

Love,

Mom   

2 comments:

Marie said...

Very cute candi photos! I especially like the ones on the wood floor. I can't wait to see her again in person!

Shane and Zandy said...

Sounds like you guys had a fun Christmas break! I cannot believe how big Emery has gotten and how it was 1 year ago that we were studying for the NCLEX and going on walks! She is such a cutie! We definitely miss getting to see you guys in person!

about this site