Saturday, May 5, 2012

Bathroom Re-do

My mom and I decided to undertake a little project while I was in town...a bathroom makeover! While this was "my" bathroom while I lived at home, I can't say I was sad to see it go. It was great in all it's lime green splendor, but those glory days have come and gone.

before
after
 We still need to add some crown molding around the tops of the walls (you can tell we painted it knowing we would be putting that on), but Home Depot was out of the kind we needed. Here's what we did:

*painted walls, door, vanity, trim
*ripped up the old floor and put in new
*replaced shower curtain
*did a lot of caulking that was way overdue!

I must admit, I thought this project would be a bit easier than it was. We ended up taking the toilet out, replacing floor boards, etc. And let's be honest, by "we" I mean mostly my dad. My mom and I did the demolition and painting and my dad spent several early mornings and late nights putting it all back together again. My mom wants to put in a new mirror, light fixtures, and some kind of shelving above the toilet, but even without all that, it has had quite the transformation! It was fun to create a nicer, more peaceful feeling bathroom and made me realize that there is so much I don't know about this kind of construction/remodeling stuff around the house. I picked up a few tips and tricks from my dad during this project, but I really wish I knew a lot more!

3 comments:

Ben and Courtney Hugo said...

steph, that is so cute! I love the calm colors! It makes me want to decorate really bad! I need to learn to do remodel stuff- maybe if we end up in Atlanta next year we could do it together!

Marie said...

Very nice! I swear by the time we actually own a house we can do anything to, I am going to be addicted to Home Depot.

Marie said...

PS My mom got a really nice mirror at Hobby Lobby for her bathroom redo. Maybe your mom could check there? The 40% coupon made it a pretty nice deal.

about this site