The long anticipated day of clinical rotation assignments is officially over.
Let me explain. Pete will finish up this semester of book work and then spend January 2013 through August 2013 working full time at three different clinical sites (10 weeks for each rotation). Today, through a 3 hour selection process involving popsicle sticks (aka chance and probability) and deciding how mean you want to be in fighting other classmates for the spots they've chosen, Here's what Pete came out with:
Rotation #1: Archbold Medical Center in Thomasville, GA (about a 4.5 hour drive)
Rotation #2: Emory University Hospital Midtown in Atlanta, GA (about a 20 minute drive)
Rotation #3: Benchmark Physical Therapy in Glenridge, GA (about a 30 min drive)
I'm totally happy about rotations 2 and 3...and happy that Pete chose to respect his friends, many with spouses and children here in Atlanta (that wanted to be here as much as Pete did), by choosing to not "battle" them for closer sites when it came right down to it on rotation #1. However, now I've got a tough choice...do me and Emery try to go live with Pete in Thomasville for the 10 weeks he will be there? Or do me and Em's stay here in Atlanta and just see Pete on weekends?
The argument to stay in Atlanta:
I have great friends here in Atlanta that could help me through those 10 weeks, a probable babysitting job starting in January, an intense dislike of moving/packing and unpacking stuff, tricky logistics as far as finding a place to stay in Thomasville and still having our apartment in Atlanta, the reality of being in a place I'm unfamiliar with for most of the day, and, after all, it's only 10 weeks.
The argument to go to Thomasville:
However, when I think of shouldering the entire load of parenting our toddler alone for 5 days a week, sleeping in bed alone and being alone each night...Thomasville sounds pretty dang good and 10 weeks sounds like a long time. And it makes me sad to think of Emery not getting to see Pete even just a little bit everyday. Plus, Thomasville looks like a super cute little southern city that could be fun to have an adventure in for 10 weeks. I know I have awesome friends here in Atlanta that would help me through it if I stay here, but, well, they're not my Peter...my support, my other half, my best friend...and I'm pretty sure we are best when we're together. Period. Which is probably why Pete got a little emotional in front of all his classmates during the whole ordeal today. Jeeesh, Ilovehim.
So...what do I do? Honest suggestions welcome :)
6 comments:
ahhh that sounds so tough!! I really dont know what I would do. I think I would probably lean toward staying in Atlanta cause it would be easier without moving. But at the same time It would be hard. But sometimes time away makes you love and appreciate your spouse even more. So basically I am no help at all cause I would have the hardest time choosing too. Good luck!
First, congrats! Second, my brother went to Emery! love it there!! Third, could you do long weekends? Like you go to thomasville on Thursday thru Sunday?
Steph, I feel like we had a similar situation with this move. We are only in Florida for 12 weeks. I know that even when we were on the island and I went home to visit it was much harder on Ben than on me (I was around supportive family and had the baby with me). Ben on the other hand was lonely and hated going through the challenges of school without us there. We decided that even though our life is hard with all the moves (more so on the island than in Florida, but it's still a little hard to be starting off new again knowing its short term) we'd rather have it be hard together than apart. That being said, every situation is different and every family has different needs. I'd make it a matter of prayer- chances are that it will be hard no matter what you do, but it will just be for 10 weeks so there will be an end in sight from the beginning. That's my take on it, which probably isn't even that helpful!
Josh and I did a whole semester apart, and we both agree that no matter what the circumstance, we would not do anything like it again. I know that it is a pain to move an extra time, but the support and love for each other is priceless. I can't imagine doing it alone with a toddler- just myself was enough. However, moving is expensive and a lot of work. I know what I would do, but like Courtney said, each situation is different. Pray and you'll know!
I was telling Dan that 4 hours south is a lot closer to a beach and we all know how Emery feels about the water :) We will miss you if you choose to go, but I totally understand why you would want to be there with Pete instead of here. You'd be pretty close to the Astons since they live on the outskirts of Tallahassee and could show you some fun adventure spots. All I know is that we owe you guys big time!
Used to have family friends that lived in Thomasville...I'm gonna be honest here: ick. Cute little southern town to visit, but it may not be so fun to live there for 10 weeks. Just something to think about.
Post a Comment