Saturday, October 6, 2012

Conference Weekend

Today was just dandy. Pete played tennis in the morning and then watched Emery while I went for a run. Exercise always makes the rest of the day go so much better. We cleaned a bit, put Emery down for a nap, and settled in for the start of a glorious weekend watching General Conference. Emery didn't nap too long, so listening to conference became tricky. Come tomorrow, I'm pulling out all my tricks to maximize our conference viewing! We're talking play dough, water play, etc. and if it doesn't work, I will finally surrender and admit defeat.

I think this is my favorite time of year...the Fall season, my birthday, and conference kind of all come in a steady stream. Here in Atlanta, I get to add the consignment sales, the Apple Festival in north Georgia (coming up in a couple weeks), and a recent addition to the awesome-ness of Autumn...The Greek Festival!

The Greek Festival happens just a few miles away from our apartment, so we can jaunt on over in between conference sessions. Last year we didn't make it, so I was excited that we got to experience it this year. The only unfortunate thing was that we were in a huge time crunch, needing to get Pete home to change and go to the priesthood session tonight. Next year we will plan better and hopefully spend a little more time there. Basically, you can go and tour the Greek Orthodox Cathedral here, and eat tons of yummy Greek food (the names of which I can't pronounce too well), including pastries and desserts. They also have music and dancing and cooking demos going on. There also looked like there was a ton of shopping and souvenir type things. Next year, I will definitely be doing the tour of the cathedral...it's so fun to learn about different cultures/religions, AND they have the largest mosaic of Christ in the western hemisphere inside the cathedral. At least I think that's what they said...whatever it was, it sounded like something worth seeing :)

Greek pastries
Because we are kind of weird, we really enjoyed the shuttle ride from the parking lot to the actual Festival, itself. We rode in a yellow school bus, and Pete and I relished feeling like little school children again. Emery simply hung her head out of the window the entire time saying "fast, fast!" and "windy!" I can't say I blame the girl...there's just something about having the wind rush past your face that is calming and invigorating all at the same time.

On the bus
 

Anyway...moral of the story is that my birthday rocked (in a nutshell: ran with Ems, received some LOVE in the form of food and treats from a friends and neighbors, hung out with a friend for a few hours, enjoyed cheap and tasty Mexican food with Pete and Emery, and came home to a silhouette cameo machine! Dream come true), the Greek Festival rocked, and Conference rocked!

May the weekend continue! Can't wait for tomorrow :)

3 comments:

TynSal Jensen said...

A silhouette cameo machine?!?!!? AH I'm so excited for you (and a little jealous!). There are endless numbers of beautiful creations that are right around your corner :) It always sounds like you guys are finding really interesting and unique things to explore there!

Ben and Courtney Hugo said...

First of all- I love Greek food! I would have loved that festival! And we had a hard time keeping Chase entertained during conference too- I'll be reading quite a few talks later on:) I guess that's what our life will be like for the next few years right? And lastly- Happy Birthday! I'm glad it was so great!

Jason + Whitni said...

Sorry I missed our run but glad you still kicked off your morning the right way :) Even though I have no idea what a silhouette cameo machine is that sounds like a magical machine of creation! Way to go Pete. Yay for Greek Festivals and yay for General Conference. Oh hey, when is that Apple Festival? We are interested!

about this site