Sunday, December 30, 2012

Christmas in Nyssa

We're loving Christmas Break in Nyssa, Oregon, and our holiday festivities along with general vacation laziness are still going strong. However, if I don't record some of our photos and adventures now, I know it just won't end up happening. So here goes...

We got to the Jensen home on Christmas Eve and are having so much fun watching Emery play with her aunts, uncles, and grandparents (and let's face it, all these people running around with and entertaining Emery all day means that this tired, pregnant mama gets a nice break). Grandma and Grandpa Baxter spent the holiday with us and definitely added to the merriment. We spent Christmas Eve reading about the birth of the Savior,  listening to Grandpa B. read "'Twas the Night Before Christmas," singing lots of Christmas songs, and reminiscing about favorite Christmases past. It was fun to have the whole family together after the past two years of Eric being on a mission.

I didn't really take any pictures on Christmas Day, but I love this video of Emery opening her stocking before we left Atlanta. You can't tell in the movie, but she is such a chatterbox these days! The things she says make me laugh so much. About a month ago, she was getting frustrated trying to do something that she couldn't quite do all by herself, so I told her she should just say "I need your help." As you can tell by her opening line in the video, she (surprisingly) took that advice to heart. Now, I'm constantly hearing "I need your help!!!" throughout the day (but there's also a lot of "I do it!!" that goes on too).


Pete loved this "beardo" that he got for Christmas from his brother, Eric. He thought this picture should be on the blog, so, that's why it's here :) It really is awesome for keeping your head and face warm! If anyone sees a bearded woman jogging around, it just might be me!


I got to see Whit (super awesome best friend since third grade) a couple times, but not for too long! She had to head back to Utah to work. Here we are with our little brothers, Eric and Carter. So crazy how grown-up we all are, especially our little brothers. I wish I had a picture from back in the day to contrast with this one!


I also got to chat with my other super awesome friend from growing up, Kimberly. I have such fun childhood memories with her! And now, we're each having a baby due exactly a month apart. I need to be better with keeping in contact with my childhood friends (hmmm, possible New Year's Resolution?). Pete, Emery, and I also went over to the Hartley's house to see Nick and his wife, Kim. It was fun to let our babies play together and catch up on each other's lives. Hopefully we get to see a few more friends while we're here!

We were all excited when the snow started falling on Christmas Day! I got my wish for a White Christmas, and Emery finally got to see a real-life snowman (she loves the song, "Once There Was a Snowman"and is always pointing out pictures of snowmen in books, etc.)! The aunts, uncles, and her daddy helped her make a mini-sized one, which I thought was fitting (meanwhile, I took pictures and warmed myself inside the house...the whole me-being-wimpy-in-the-cold thing is no joke).




Beyond Christmas and snow, we've enjoyed playing basketball at the church (I'm getting better exercise than I have in weeks!), watching movies (including a double date with my parents to Les Miserables), and playing games. I planned and prepared (what I consider) an epic Family Game Night---complete with treats and prizes. It was so much fun because the whole family participated, but definitely involved some intense competitiveness. Pete (who doesn't enjoy games all that much) was completely emotionally exhausted by the end of the night. I found it quite funny. I'm glad everyone helped and participated---and I hope they recover in time for next year's equally awesome family game night! :)

Speaking of game nights...I love that we've been able to watch two of Quentin's (little bro, junior in HS) basketball games while we're here. One thing I really dislike about being far from family is missing out on much of my sibling's sporting events, recitals, concerts, etc. Here we are after Q's game, celebrating the win at a yummy frozen yogurt place, Kiwi Loco:


We've got 5 more days before our flight back to Atlanta---may the fun continue!

No comments:

about this site