Searching for an anniversary card at Target, to give to Pete, was an adventure in and of itself. In all reality, anytime I take both kiddos to Target with me usually qualifies as an adventure in my book. I must have looked bored as I perused the loads of dumb cards, because Emery said "Mom, I'll go get you a toy to play with," and walked over to the nearby dollar section. An older woman looking for an anniversary card nearby blurted out something about Duck Dynasty and said "I've been married for 52 years and marriage is about survival, but all these cards are about love and roses!" When I told her it was my 5 year anniversary, she became instantly happy---all smiles and congratulations---like she'd accidentally told me a dirty secret or something.
My sweet Peter came home that night with none other than roses! And I loved them. Then he entertained the kids while I had an excellent time making a nice dinner (as opposed to quesadillas and other 10 minute meals like I've been in the business of lately). Then, we decided it would be pretty fun to attempt to re-create the cake that Pete's Aunt Kathie made for our wedding Open House, five years ago.
We had made this cake for our first anniversary and it was fun to do again for our fifth. We didn't grease the pan well enough that first time, in addition to a few other minor mistakes. Our baking skills have definitely improved over the past 4 years and the cake turned out delicious! We shared it with Emery and nearby friends (including our newly moved-in downstairs neighbors, in hopes that the chocolate will help them tolerate our active 2 year old better than the last people who lived there).
Marriage may not be all about love and roses, but I hope they continue to be a big part of mine for a long, long time. :)





1 comment:
congrats on being married 5 years!
beautiful cakes!
wish we could have stopped in for a piece ;)
Post a Comment