Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Chocolate Rules


The other day I went to the store to pick up one item. I came home with a plethora of sweets ingredients, including semi-sweet chocolate chips and milk chocolate chips. This is unlike me, and we usually don't keep these things stocked up. But I got sick of craving cookies or brownies and having nothing to make them with.

When I got home, I strategically placed the chocolate chips away where they wouldn't be in plain sight. Being an oldest child and naturally a bit bossy, I told Pete in a serious tone: "Okay, Peter, now the rule about all these chocolate chips is that they can only be used in recipes. No snacking on them." Pete didn't skip a beat before replying, "I'm going to hold you to that." And then we laughed, because we both know that out of the two of us, I would be the first one to bust open the chocolate chips solely for the purpose of popping them straight into my mouth.

Fast-forward a few weeks to right now, when you can find the package of half-eaten semi-sweet chocolate chips sitting on Pete's nightstand, and the half-eaten package of milk chocolate chips sitting on my nightstand. Although Pete was the first one to start snacking on the chocolate (claiming he "forgot" the rule...which he actually probably did), I quickly followed suit. I'm not sure how it started, but sometimes at night when Emery's gone to sleep, we each pour a little cup of our preferred chocolate chips and sit in bed, reading together. 

And the only reason I'm not upset with myself for being undisciplined is I believe eating chocolate while reading to be one of life's supernal pleasures.

I guess I need to come up with a different plan for keeping chocolate chips on hand.

3 comments:

samuel and heather shannon said...

Oh my goodness, I'm glad it's not just me! I'll never forget the reality check I got when I went over to a visiting teachee's apartment one time and she answered the door, bag in hand, unashamedly snacking. She even admitted that they sometimes don't stay around long enough to get put in anything. Girls just need chocolate!

Jasmine said...

haha so funny. Especially since just yesterday dave went to where we sometimes stash candy away (which I try not to....like you... cause then it gets eaten) Anywho, to his disappointment we had no sweets or junk food. So what does he pull out? The semi-sweet chocolate chips. I was laughing and said we had some milk chocolate ones he could have if he wanted... his response... I already ate all of those! haha! Good thing I didnt get halfway into baking cookies thinking I had all the ingredients and then realize, nope, I dont! Love this post, captures the simple pleasures of life so well.

Brady and Lindsay Wood said...

you crack me up. you can keep them at my house. we don't ever snack on chocolate chips. i usually have a dozen bags of them. i guess i just forget about them until i need them for a recipe. hahah hey and remember you are nursing so you are burning more calories so you CAN eat them. you are just making chocolate milk for em!!!! ahahahah

about this site