Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Consignment Craziness

Last weekend I had (what I think was) a significant "Southern" experience: consignment sales!  

Basically, people donate all kinds of used baby and kids stuff to sell, making money for the local preschools/churches. We're talking ga-loads of strollers, exersaucers, clothes/shoes, toys, books, carriers, car seats...basically anything "baby" you can dream of. When I first moved to Georgia, people told me not to buy too many toys for Emery because I could get really cheap ones at the consignment sales in September. Thankfully, I followed their advice. 

On Friday morning as I was getting ready to go to my first sale, I watched a toy-deprived Emery play with a plastic hanger, and I was really hoping that better days were ahead for her in the "play" aspect of her life. :) I had quite a big list of things I wanted to find, and I couldn't help but wonder if the sales were really going to be THAT good. And guess what? They were! It was totally worth standing in a mile long line with empty bags and laundry basket---because I filled them all, getting everything on my list except one item!

Luckily, some friends and I combined forces and did a babysitting/shopping rotation system where a couple people went to the sale while the others watched the babies and kiddos, then we switched. I need to give a huge shout out to Marie for coming with me and helping. Trust me, it was no easy task to snag the best looking and cheapest exersaucers and stand-n-play toys while maneuvering through the masses of people to get the other things we needed. I couldn't have done it alone! After getting almost everything I wanted on Friday, I went to a different sale on Saturday morning to get the last few odds and ends. Almost everything is half off on Saturday, so that's an extra bonus. 


exersaucer, stand-n-play center, toys, books, some toys for a few months down the road, cute shoes, high chair seat, and even a lamp for Emery's room ($5! Been needing one for a while). All this came to about $80. Not bad, eh? Emery was in toy heaven and it was so fun to watch her play with her new toys.  




I can't help but think that living here, near these sales, is ideal for our situation right now. Emery's Christmases and birthdays will be easy and pretty cheap for the next few years. Now, if only shopping for Pete were this easy...(sigh)

The great thing is that these sales happen every 6 months! 

1 comment:

Marie said...

I'm excited to see how we do in the next one now that we know the "tricks". We just found out about niece/nephew #5 coming in April so March will be perfect timing :)

about this site