Thursday, September 15, 2011

Good Eats

Lately I've been trying out new recipes and have found some deee-licious ones I thought I'd share. I've linked the original recipe source where applicable:

Tomato-Basil Chicken with Cashew Rice Pilaf (click to go to recipe)
*I LOVED this dish. I used light cream instead of heavy and it was still awesome! Next time I'll probably reduce the amount of butter in the rice---it was really yummy, but I don't think less will hurt much.


We've spent a fair share of Friday date nights getting out the pizza stone and creating a gigantic mess in our kitchen. However, the result---delicious pizza---is always worth it! Some of our favorite variations lately include:

Roasted Garlic Chicken Pesto Pizza
*roasted garlic. grilled chicken. pesto. cheese. enough said. I used my own pizza crust, but the one suggested on this recipe looks really yummy too.

Wild Mushroom Pizza
*When I was 8 years old, I would've rather stuck my head in a toilet than eaten a bite of this pizza. I was the world's pickiest eater. Now, I LOVE THIS PIZZA (and might stick my head in a toilet if it would make this pizza materialize in front of me). My friend Karli and her hubby made this for me and Pete shortly after we had Emery. We all ate it together at our apartment, so not only is it super yummy, for me it's connected with good friends and a sense of gratitude at having a meal made for us during our transitioning-to-baby phase. To make it, you spread a ton of hummus on a pizza crust, then add a blend of sauteed wild mushrooms mixed with diced tomatoes and fresh or dried thyme and rosemary. Top with mozzarella or provolone cheese. (if you want the complete recipe, let me know...I'm just too lazy right now to type it up from my cookbook).

BBQ Chicken Pizza
*This is a favorite of ours that never ceases to please. We spread BBQ sauce on our homemade wheat pizza crust, add some provolone and mozzarella cheese with a hint of cheddar, some grilled chicken, more cheese, and thinly sliced red onions. That's it.

Baked Zucchini Sticks
*Have you ever used Panko bread crumbs? They are a fairly recent discovery for me and I will never go back to normal bread crumbs. Panko are sooo much crunchier and yummier. Note about the recipe: when it says to make sure to rinse all the salt off of the zucchini, MAKE SURE to rinse all the salt off the zucchini.

Ooey-gooey Peanut Butter Chocolate Brownies
*These are incredible. And originally from a Cooking Light magazine? Some advice: have some friends to share with. Otherwise you may end up eating nearly the whole pan...for breakfast (not that I did that of course...) :}

Roasted Asparagus with Balsamic Browned Butter
*Mmmm. I love asparagus and this was my first time "browning" butter. I was quite pleased to say the least.

Strawberry Lemon Smoothie
*For a couple weeks, I had a wicked evening sweet tooth. Each evening I just got in this mood where I thought I was going to die if I didn't stuff some sugar down my throat. I may have saved myself a few thousand calories by blending this up on a few nights (but I guess the ooey-gooey PB chocolate brownies made up for that!). Next time I make this smoothie, however, I will either put in less Truvia or just forego it and add a tiny bit of sugar. Something about the taste of the Truvia just rubbed me the wrong way.

Thai Peanut Noodles
*This is one of my favorite meals these days. I saute small slivers of chicken in some garlic, ginger, soy sauce, etc. and add it in. It's just a fun, different tasting dish that gives some variety to our normal repertoire. Oh, and it has cilantro and lime in it. I will eat just about any dish featuring those lovely ingredients.

Let me know if you try any of them and what you think!

2 comments:

Marie said...

Wow, you've been busy! You make my attempts at branching out look pretty pathetic next to your variety of flavors and ingredients :)

Kimberly said...

Everything looked particularly delicious in this post , so I attempted the tomato basil chicken and cashew rice and the scrumptious zucchini sticks and dip. They were all as good as they sounded. Thanks for your recommendations!

about this site