Thursday, September 29, 2011

Random Gratitude

Two posts in one day? I know. Crazy.

I just have a few random things that I would never think to tell anyone, but that I'm just grateful for right now. So here goes:

A week or so ago, me and Emery happened to be awake while Pete was getting ready for school in the morning. As he was tying his shoes and gearing up for yet another day of school, he was quietly singing a song. Puzzled, I asked him what he was singing and he simply replied, "my theme song." He's still recovering from a brutal physiology test, trying to gear up for the next ones, and I guess this song gives him hope that he can make it through the semester. As I listened to the song, I realized the lyrics really are pretty motivating. Whatever inspires him, right?


Missing ingredients. This morning I was planning to make some crockpot beans for tonight's dinner, using dry pinto beans that I have in my pantry. However, when the tin labeled "pinto beans" in my pantry turned out to be completely empty (grrr), I decided to take Emery for a walk to the grocery store that's a mile up the road to pick up a new bag. Right next to the grocery store is "Pike's Family Nursery," a plant store that was looking particularly green, flowery and enticing this morning. After going to the grocery store, I decided to poke my head in the nursery. Good idea. Very good idea. Something about being surrounded by green plants, tinkling water fountains, wind chimes, and soothing music playing overhead was quite therapeutic. And then it got even better, as a woman in the store gave me an extra coupon that she had for $10 off at least a $20 purchase. This means I will probably be going back to buy a beautiful potted orchid (or maybe some pumpkins?)...because I've been wanting one of those for a looong time and, with the coupon, it's finally going to be in my price range. So, thank you, pinto beans, for setting off that quite pleasant string of events.

(click picture to enlarge)
This is my baking buddy. She's happy to sit in her bumbo, playing with measuring cups and spoons, banging them on the metal kitchen aid bowl and talking and smiling while I whip up dinner or goodies. Though she's not much in the way of help, I pay her with plenty of kisses---just because she's so cute. I'm glad I get to spend my days with her.

Fun friends. There are some really great women out here in Atlanta. I got to go to a musical with some last night and I get to hang out and make crafts with more tonight. While too many late nights turns me into a sleep-deprived grouch, it's wonderful that every now and then, I can put Emery to sleep and leave her home with Pete. Since he has to study and I can't really spend time with him anyway, at least I can spend time with friends who are in the same husband-deprived state as me.

Well, that's about it. I should probably now go vacuum, make tortillas, fold my laundry, clean my house, and try to be grateful for those things too.

1 comment:

Marie said...

Husband-deprived is a good way to describe it. So excited for craft group! I love the baking buddy picture collage :)

about this site