So what do I do now that I'm done with school and not working?
| Organizer from Staples that has eternally revolutionized our desk space. |
I clean. Gone are the days that our laundry would sit in the dryer for a week, aching to be folded. These days I can get through 4 or more
loads of laundry in one day---from dirty to folded and put away! I've created cleaning checklists for every room in my apartment (from a Level 1 basic clean to a Level 4 intensive clean) and have been trying to go a little more in depth each week in my cleaning. We're talking dusting, wiping baseboards, removing light fixtures and washing them, etc. What about Organizing? or De-cluttering? Foreign words indeed to a busy, stressed out student. But in the past few weeks, the amount of trash and DI bags our little apartment has seen leave the doorstep is quite astounding.
I cook. We've been "going grain" (okay, bad joke). With my Kitchenaid and new wheat grinder as my tools, I've been mixing up whole wheat flax bread, waffles and tortillas. I've also been experimenting with other grains like oats (steel cut, oat bran, etc.), flax, and lentils.
Next up on the "grains to try" list are couscous (which I've never had much success with in the past) and quinoa. I even tried my hand (actually both hands, arms, biceps, shoulder muscles, and what core muscles aren't being stretched to oblivion) at homemade filled pasta.
It was exhausting.
But the result was delicious.
Now I'm yearning for one of these.
If you ever have some pent-up stress or anger, a stretch of hours on your hand, and/or want a good workout--try making pasta by hand with a rolling pin. I used this great tutorial and this delectable recipe.
At first I was more concerned about making them pretty. I used heart shaped cookie cutters and thought they were adorable. Then I cooked one and tried it---way too much pasta, not enough filling. Then I just starting cutting the dough with a knife, around the filled part, and squeezing the edges together with my fingers. They were a little more rustic in appearance, but much tastier.
| The Menu |
| The Husband |
| The Food |
I exercise. But today I'm trying to lay down and put my feet up a little more (hence this long blog post). My back just hasn't been the same since I hiked the Y last week and I really want it to get a little better so I can keep exercising. Usually, I go on up-hill walks with friends, or walk/run on the treadmill at Pete's work gym. Getting to see him a bit during the day is extra motivation to go work out :)
| Sunset view from the Y parking lot through the pollution. (Thanks Ush and Ash for the phone call!) |
I study. NCLEX is coming up on February 15th! I haven't been too zealous in my study habits, to be honest (it seems there are lots of other things to keep me busy). I'm trying the slow and steady approach instead. I've been doing about an hour a day since January 1st, plus a few study sessions with friends. As it is getting closer, I plan to take some more lengthy practice tests.
I prepare. Or at least try to. I'm probably a little bit behind in this area right now considering I only have 2 months before my due date. Making lists of baby things I need to get, slowly collecting items, and researching products is quite the task. I have also been reading baby books, parenting books, breastfeeding books, and talking to new moms. While I know nothing is really going to prepare me, the planner in me just has to try. This week Pete and I start prenatal classes. We'll see how that goes :)
All in all, these days are wonderful. I'm busy enough to still be using my planner but oh-so-much-less stressed out than when I was a student. My daily schedule is flexible enough that when a friend calls and asks me to babysit that day or needs to be picked up from the airport, I can do it! I enjoy my church calling (Enrichment Leader--planning R.S. activities) and put forth more effort into it instead of stressing about it.
In a way, I think these 2-ish months after graduating are kind of the calm before the storm.
But a good storm.
Lots of life transitions are ahead
First baby.
First baby.
Moving away from Provo/Utah.
Pete starting school again.
Eventually finding a job.
While I'm a little nervous that everything is going to hit like a ton of bricks at the same time, for now I'm just enjoying the present.
And frankly, enjoying the present is pretty easy.
Of course there are still hard things and bad days.
And the fact that finding a comfortable position for my back is proving impossible.
But overall, life is wonderful.
While Pete is busy with jobs, church callings, and the logistics of PT school applications, we usually get to enjoy (homework free!) evenings together.
And sometimes we go a date--on a weekday.
Just for fun.
When will life be like this again?
Maybe when we're retired and all our kids are grown and gone...
if we can still walk by then.
Basically, these days are precious; I love them.
But I definitely don't take them for granted.
I'm so grateful for all the blessings I have in life and the wonderful things that are ahead.
2 comments:
i would love the recipe for your whole wheat bread! also, how do you get your bread to look so pretty??? mine always ends up looking like it came out of the meat grinder.
this is so true! My life has been the same way and its amazing. Our apartments is so clean I could lick the corners. Haha, thats sick! And ive never been healthier and exercised more than I am now! Your food looks delicious. Have you tried grinding up beans and putting them in your bread? It adds moisture and is very healthy and delicious.
Post a Comment